2017 Municipal Election

Get involved. Vote.

Beaver County will be holding a Municipal Election on Monday, October 16, 2017.

Residents will elect five division Councillors to form Council. A Reeve is appointed annually by the elected Council. Click here for the official results of Nomination Day.

This is your opportunity to get involved and vote.

As the election approaches, watch the Beaver County Chronicle and visit this website for more information on how you can get involved and make a difference. View the
Election Brochure for "at-a-glance" information.

Official Election Day Results

Division 1 Kevin Smook Acclaimed
Division 2 Jim Kallal  242
  Sieko Scott  128
Division 3 Eugene Hrabec  178
  Ron Yarham  97
Division 4 Barry Bruce  132
  Brent A. Christensen  19
  Floyd P. LeClercq  83
  Dennis Miciak  83
Division 5 Jim Fielding  153
  Arnold Hanson  25
  Dale Pederson  232


For best access to documents provided by external links, please use Internet Explorer.  If you continue to experience difficulty, please contact the Beaver County Service Centre at 780-663-3730.




Nomination Day  is Monday, September 18, 2017.  Nominations will be accepted in person at the Beaver County Service Centre in Ryley from 10 am – noon.  A nomination deposit of $100 is required (cash or certified cheque only). Attached is the Notice of Nomination Day.

Advance Vote  is Thursday, October 5, 2017.  Voting stations will be open from 2 pm - 8 pm at the Lindbrook Hall, Spilstead Hall (Division 2), Beaver County Service Centre, and the Viking Carena. Voter identification is required. 

Election Day  is Monday, October 16, 2017. Voting stations will be open from 8 am to 8 pm. Voter identification is required.

Note:  If you are unable to vote at either the Advance Vote or on Election Day due to physical incapacity or absence from the County, you may request a Special Ballot. Click here for more information.

Return to FAQs



If you are unable to vote at the Advance Vote or at a regular voting station on Election Day, you may vote by special ballot.  Applications are available now until 4:30 pm, Friday, October 13, 2017, and may be requested in writing, via fax, or in person. Download the application form here.

You must identify yourself as an eligible voter when you submit your application to vote by special ballot.  Please return your application with a photocopy of one piece of valid ID.  Click here for a list of valid identification documents.

Once you receive your special ballot, you must return it to the Beaver County Service Centre no later than 4:30 pm, Friday, October 13, 2017.  Post-dated ballots will not be accepted.

Return to FAQs



Elections for municipal (County) Councillors will be held on Monday, October 16, 2017. To be eligible to vote, you must meet the following requirements:

  1. You must be at least 18 years old, a Canadian citizen, and a resident of the division in which you are voting on Election Day.
  2. You must have lived in Alberta at least 6 months prior to Election Day.
  3. You must produce valid identification to prove your identity and place of residence.

Return to FAQs



When you attend the voting station to vote on Election Day, you must produce valid identification to prove your identity and place of residence.

Click here for a list of valid identification documents. Only one proof of identity is required, but the identification must show BOTH the name and address of each voter.

Note that a driver’s license is an acceptable form of identification even if it specifies a postal box # as your address.  Provided that the town/village shown on your driver’s license is reasonable with respect to the division in which you are voting, it will be accepted as valid ID.

For example, if you are voting in Division 3 and your driver’s license indicates “Box xx, Ryley or Box xx, Holden”, you will be allowed to vote.  If you are voting in Division 3 and your driver’s license indicates “Box xx, Camrose or Box xx, Vegreville”, the election official may not consider this reasonable, and may ask for additional identification.

Remember that the election officials cannot vouch for you even if they know you personally.  Please come prepared to the voting station with valid identification.

If you have questions regarding valid ID, refer to the list of valid identification documents or contact the Returning Officer, Margaret Jones, at 780-663-3730.

Return to FAQs



Election Day is Monday, October 16, 2017.  Voting stations will be located as follows:

Division 1             Lindbrook Community Hall and Tofield Community Hall
Division 2             Spilstead Community Hall and Tofield Community Hall
Division 3             Ryley Legion
Division 4             Bruce Community Hall
Division 5             Viking Seniors Centre and Kinsella Community Hall

You may vote for the following offices at these locations:

  1. Beaver County municipal councillor
  2. Battle River School Division (public school trustee)
  3. Elk Island Catholic Separate School Division (separate school trustee) (only Divisions 1 and 3 residents who live within the separate school area and declare they are of the Catholic faith)

Voting stations are open from 8 am until 8 pm.  Remember to bring valid identification with you when you come! Click here for the Notice of Election.

Return to FAQs



The office of municipal councillor is a busy and challenging one, but also very rewarding.  If you are interested in running for office in the Fall 2017 municipal election, we encourage you to review the following information in advance:

Eligibility for Nomination

To be eligible to run in the 2017 Municipal Election, the following criteria must be met:

  1. You must be at least 18 years old and a Canadian citizen on Nomination Day;
  2. You must have lived in Alberta at least 6 months prior to Election Day;
  3. You must have been a resident of the division in which you plan to run at least 6 months prior to Nomination Day and on Election Day;
  4. You are not ineligible to run as outlined in Sections 21-23 of the Local Authorities Election Act.

Nomination Day

Nominations for the office of municipal Councillor will be accepted in person on Monday, September 18, 2017, between 10:00 am and noon, at the Beaver County Service Centre at 5120 – 50th Street, Ryley.  A nomination deposit of $100 is required.

Click here for a Nomination Form.

Candidate’s Agent or Scrutineer

You may appoint an elector to be your official agent or your scrutineer.  The agent and scrutineer can be the same person, or can be different people performing different functions, at your discretion.

Before performing their duties, the agent and/or scrutineer must complete the required forms, either by appointment on your Nomination Form or by completing the Official Agent Proof of Identification or the Statement of Scrutineer or Official Agent.

Return to FAQs


NEW FOR 2017 !!

The Local Authorities Election Act requires that candidates who intend to accept campaign contributions, including self-funded campaigns, register their intent to run for election with the municipality.  The campaign period for purposes of the 2017 election is January 1, 2014 to December 31, 2017.

Exemption:  An exemption applies if the candidate’s campaign is entirely self-funded to a maximum of $10,000.  Despite this exemption, candidates may choose to register just in case an unexpected contribution is made.  If, in the course of campaigning, a candidate is offered a contribution, the candidate may not accept it until he/she has registered.  A candidate who contravenes the legislation is liable to a fine.

Click here for the Application for Registration of Notice of Intent to Become a Candidate for Municipal Office.

The Act also requires that candidates who have received campaign contributions issue receipts for each contribution and file a disclosure statement by March 1, 2018.  Under certain circumstances, the candidate must open a campaign account at a bank.

Click here for a Campaign Disclosure Statement and Financial Statement.

What is a campaign contribution?

A campaign contribution is any money, personal property, real property or service that is provided to or for the benefit of a candidate or the candidate’s election campaign without fair market value compensation from that candidate.  A contribution does not include services provided by a volunteer who receives no compensation, directly or indirectly, in relation to the services provided.

The Local Authorities Election Act places limits on campaign contributions by any person, corporation, trade union, or employee organization.  To review the legislation, click here.

Candidates who intend to register and/or anticipate receiving contributions from a third party are responsible for ensuring all requirements of the Act are met.

The County is required to maintain a register of candidates who file the Application for Registration.  The register will include the following information:

  1. Full name and address of the candidate,
  2. Address of the place(s) where the candidate’s records are maintained.
  3. Address of the place(s) to which communications to the candidate may be addressed.
  4. Names and addresses of the financial institutions to be used as depositories for campaign contributions.
  5. Names of the signing authorities for each depository.

Beaver County will not publish the register.

Return to FAQs