Municipal Addressing

Municipal Addressing

Signage identifying municipal addresses is essential for emergency services and other core services provided by the County. Posting your municipal address sign in a clear, visible location will ensure optimum response from County services. Municipal address signs are available from the Beaver County Service Center.

If you do not have a municipal address sign posted, the sign specifications are as follows:

In Rural Areas

Owners must post a sign with the complete address when the property is accessed directly from a township or range road. Letters must be a minimum of four inches high and made of reflective material. 

In Hamlets

Owners must post their three-digit address number in a conspicuous place no higher than the first story of the house. Numbers must be a minimum of four inches high.

In Multi-Lot Subdivisions with an Internal Road

Owners must post their municipal house number at the end of their driveway. The County will post the complete address at the entrance to the subdivision. Numbers must be a minimum of six inches high and made of reflective material.

Read more about municipal address signs in Beaver County:

Beaver County Council approved Municipal Addressing Bylaw 10-970 which revised Bylaw 00-816 to increase the fines for non-compliance from $25 to $100 for the first offence and from $100 to $300 per day for subsequent offences.

Beaver County will be enforcing Bylaw 10-970 and will begin issuing fines to all non-compliant households. The fines for non-compliance are $100 for the first offence and $300 per day for subsequent offences.

Use a land line to call 9-1-1

When every second counts, Beaver County urges citizens to use a land line instead of a cell phone to call 9-1-1. Generally, land lines are more reliable than cell phones and are not subject to weak signals or poor reception.

When you dial 9-1-1 from a land line, the municipal address you are calling from is automatically displayed at the 9-1-1 Call Answer Centre. The Emergency Communications Operator (ECO) verifies the address with you and asks you a series of questions to get the necessary information to dispatch the appropriate emergency services personnel.

When you dial from a cell phone, you have to provide your municipal address (and confirm it) and the applicable information required by the operator. Your municipal address will not display for the ECO as wireless service carriers do not register them as they do for land line users.

If you have to use a cell phone to make a 9-1-1 call, be sure that you know your location. The ECO will ask for your address, so if you are mobile at the time, ensure that you can provide the name or number of the highway/range road/or street you're on.

Effective February 1, 2010 the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) mandated that all wireless service providers begin providing advanced location services to support E9-1-1 Phase II, which uses a combination of GPS technology and cell tower trilateration to provide location information, depending on the handset type.

The new technology typically provides the ECO the caller's phone number and the geographic coordinates associated with the caller's approximate location.

"The technology has created efficiencies in dispatching emergency services, but the use of land lines for 9-1-1 calls is still recommended," said Captain Bob Klassen, Strathcona Regional Communication Center. "Having your municipal address traced immediately can save critical moments when every second is needed for emergency response."

Each technology has different strengths, however, and it is up to the individual wireless carrier to choose the type of technology they use to support E9-1-1 Phase II.

Beaver County recommends that you check with your provider to verify your 9-1-1 services.