Final steps in the completion of chip seal on Camp Lake Road.
The last step of the process is to apply two layers of chip seal. This consists of spraying a layer of oil on the road and covering it in small aggregate (Construction aggregate, or simply "aggregate", is a broad category of coarse particulate material used in construction, including sand, gravel, crushed stone, ... ). The oil adheres the aggregate to the road which will increase traction for the traffic travelling on the road. This completes the process and you end up with a newly finished, stronger road, and an all-weather dust and mud free surface.
1. Chip seals provide Beaver County with the opportunity to maintain the roads for very low cost.
2. A chip seal is about one fourth to one fifth the cost of a conventional asphalt overlay.
3. Chip seals result in lower costs over the long term.
4. By placing a chip seal sooner than an asphalt overlay would be placed, the traveling public benefits from roads maintained in better condition.
5. Chip Seals eliminate the need to crack seal.
6. Chip seals enhance safety by providing good skid resistance.
7. Chip seals provide an effective moisture barrier for the underlying pavement against water intrusion by sealing cracks in the pavement.
8. Chip seals prevent deterioration of the asphalt surface from the effects of aging and oxidation due to water and sun.
9. Chip seals virtually eliminate black ice.
10. In hot weather, chip seals re-seal cracks by flowing back together.