< Back to News
Education Plan Development Professional
Advancing nature-based education in the UNESCO Beaver Hills Biosphere.
The Beaver Hills Biosphere (the biosphere) is seeking a qualified individual to research and write a five- year education plan that will identify and guide educational activities and nature-based learning opportunities within the biosphere.
The education plan will clearly illustrate the path forward for the biosphere to develop partnerships with all levels of government, local schools and school divisions, post-secondary institutions and biosphere partners to advance the biosphere mandate. Emphasis will be placed on aligning with the UNESCO Associated Schools Network and working with content experts to identify, design and deliver meaningful, experiential learning opportunities for all ages within the biosphere.
Key Responsibility Areas
The individual hired to complete this project will be responsible for, but may not be limited to:
- Researching and reviewing educational programs currently being delivered within the biosphere that align with the biosphere mandate.
- Conducting extensive partner outreach and stakeholder engagement to gather input for the development of this plan, including but not limited to:
o Liaising with First Nations and Metis organizations and individuals with an interest in establishing Indigenous programs within the biosphere.
o Identifying partnership opportunities with key organizations and individuals to plan and offer outdoor, nature-based learning opportunities.
- Developing biosphere-focused content and resources that support both the UNESCO Associated Schools Network and Alberta Education curricula with specific emphasis on experiential learning opportunities for all ages.
- Writing a robust educational plan that incorporates a variety of activities and partnership opportunities that will leverage curriculum-based and formal learning to enhance overall individual health and community well-being through informal, outdoor, experiential learning experiences.
Skills and Qualifications
- Previous experience in the key responsibility areas is required.
- Post secondary degree in education, environmental sciences or similar fields.
- Demonstrated experience in planning and developing education, interpretive or outreach programs with specific knowledge in nature-based learning.
- Ability to communicate effectively with individuals and/or groups.
- Excellent organizational, written and oral communication skills.
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- A demonstrated ability to research and write educations plans with a clear focus on deliverables.
- Detail oriented and committed to meeting deadlines.
- Computer proficiency and strong research skills.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends.
- Class 5 license (GDL is acceptable) and clean driver’s abstract.
- Reliable transportation and appropriate insurance coverage are required.
Terms and Conditions
This is a six-month contract position beginning January 18, 2021. The individual selected for this position will report to the Executive Director. The education plan is expected to be completed and delivered to Beaver Hills Biosphere no later than July 18, 2021.
Some travel within the metro Edmonton region and central-Alberta may be required.
Interested and qualified individuals should send a cover letter, resume and examples of similar past work to:
Beaver Hills Biosphere
c/o Land Stewardship Centre
17503 – 45 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T6M 2N3
Fax: (780) 486-9599
The deadline for applications is December 31, 2020.
We embrace diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone inquiries.
About Beaver Hills Biosphere
Situated east of Edmonton, Alberta, the Beaver Hills was designated as a biosphere on March 19, 2016 by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). This designation provides global recognition of a collective commitment by the communities within the Beaver Hills region to promote solutions reconciling the conservation of biodiversity with its sustainable use. http://www.beaverhills.ca/
Beaver Hills Biosphere adheres to all COVID-19 protocols as outlined by Alberta’s Chief Medical Officer of Health and Alberta Health Services.