Due to the extreme cold and wind, sand and salt will not adhere to road surfaces. In addition, the current temperatures cause significant risk to the safety of our staff and proper functioning of equipment. Due to these factors, the County has temporarily paused its snow clearing and icy intersection maintenance.
Please use caution when driving, and always drive at a speed that matches the prevailing visibility, traffic, and road conditions.
Life in Alberta means that the weather can change at a moment’s notice. That’s why it’s important to adjust your driving behavior to the changing road and weather conditions. Beaver County is committed to providing snow and ice control that makes it possible for commuters to travel as safely as possible.
Please remember these few safety tips:
- Posted speed limits are the maximum speed you should travel under ideal
- Driving towards sunrise or sunset can also hamper visibility; drive with caution and wear your sunglasses
- Clean your windshield and all other windows free from snow and frost
- Turn your headlights on
- Beware of black ice
- Slow down on overpasses and bridge decks and before you reach an intersection
- Brake early before the Stop sign
- Yield to on-coming traffic, especially if the roads are icy
- If you must stop, pull over as far off the road as is safe
- Use your hazard lights when stopped
- Carry a winter driving safety kit
Winter driving kit:
The following items, carried in your vehicle, will be invaluable should an emergency develop:
- Bag of abrasive material (sand, salt, or cat litter)
- Small snow shovel
- Snow brush
- Traction mats
- Window-washing solvent
- Gloves or mittens
- Ice scraper
- Cloth or paper towels
- Booster cables
- Warning flares, triangles
- Cellular phone and charging cord
- Candle and matches
If you require snow removal service, please contact our office at 780-663-3730 or toll free at 1-866-663-1333.