This position is primarily for providing coordination of the Beaver Emergency Services Commission health and safety program, administrative support to the H&S Committee and administrative support to the BESC executive assistant. This position may also provide support to the Finance Department and the Regional Emergency Manager (REM)as required.
Hours of work: 21 hours per week (Flex time) Monday, Tuesday, and Friday
Term of Employment: 2 years contract position
Pay Scale: To be negotiated
H&S Administrator Key Responsibilities:
- Provide support to H&S Committee, H&S Representatives, and district fire chiefs.
- Responsible for the daily administration of the H&S Program.
- Maintain a current knowledge of health and safety literature, regulations, and codes of practice.
- Develop and monitor the Health and Safety budget in consultation with H&S Committee and Administration.
- Meet with H&S Committee and Administration to discuss policy or procedure concerns and refinements.
- In conjunction with the H&S Committee coordinate/participate in annual internal audits of the H&S program.
- In conjunction with the H&S Committee coordinate/assist in external audits, as needed.
- Regularly review and summarize the various inspections from all fire departments and head office.
- Regularly lead the review and implement revisions to the BESC health and safety manual, at the direction of the H&S Committee.
- Participate in and record minutes of the H&S Committee meetings
- Assist the Co-chairs of the H&S Committee as required.
- When requested, help the staff and firefighters understand the H&S program including their responsibilities.
Other Health and Safety responsibilities:
- Coordinate the creation and completion of any required documents (hazard assessments and safety sheets).
- Ensure required training is carried out and documented.
- In conjunction with Administration coordinate the purchase of approved Personal
- Work with H&S Committee to establish schedules of inspection and ensure corrective action is taken whenever deficiencies are identified.
- Assist Administration with emergency preparedness.
- Assist H&S Representatives with incident investigations, analysis, and reporting.
- Review incident reports received and where necessary assist with determining causes of incidents and corrective action in conjunction with the H&S Committee.
- Ensure results from incident reports are communicated to the H&S Committee and fire departments.
- Work with fire departments and administration to ensure accidents are reported immediately including proper and timely submission of WCB forms and other related paperwork.
- Reception duties – answer phones, manages in-coming and out-going mail, issue fire permits
- Edits, formats, and proofreads documents and presentations.
- Provides administrative support to the Executive Assistant, as required.
- Administrative filing, records management, and general office duties, as required.
- Other duties as directed by the Executive Assistant.
- Enter data pertaining to inventory, training records, asset management and incident statistics
- Duties are typically carried out at the BESC office during regular working hours.
- H&S Committee meetings and functions and BESC board meeting are usually held in the evening at the BESC office or district fire stations.
- Travel required to conduct H&S functions at district fire stations.
- Knowledge of OHS Act, Regulations and Code
- National Construction Safety Officer (NSCO) Certification
- Administrative Assistant Certificate or equivalent education.
- Intermediate to advanced skills with MS Office including MS Office Access
- Minimum of 3 years in a similar role.
Limitations and Disclaimer
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature of the level of work being performed, including minimum requirements in many cases. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. Employees will be required to follow other job related duties as requested by their manager.
For more information, contact Allan Weiss, CAO, Beaver Emergency Services Commission at 780-336-3041.