Black Nugget Lake Campground
Black Nugget Lake Campground reservation system is now open for reservations beginning May 17, 2023.
To view Black Nugget Lake Campground visit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN9LM6lH2hg
To book online for the 2023 camping season, the online reservation system reopens on March 1st, 2023, visit www.campreservations.ca.
If you have any questions, please contact Susan @ the Beaver County Service Centre at 825-385-0069.
49117 RR 182
Black Nugget Lake Park is located between Tofield and Ryley, Highway 14 east 10 km, then south 11 km on RR 182. 15 minutes east of Tofield, 60 minutes east of Edmonton.
Black Nugget Lake Park is a great little campground where you can get away from it all and relax in one of our well-treed sites or meet with friends and camp in one of the group sites.
Developed out of a former coal mine, the campground features a long winding lake with waterfront sites at various locations and back-to-nature tenting sites. The campground also has for your convenience a boat launch for non powered boats, picnic shelters/cookhouses, a sewer dump station, a convenience store.
While at Black Nugget Lake Park, you can enjoy bird watching, boating (non-powered), canoeing, kayaking, hiking, and trout fishing. A playground with sand and a large playing field, volleyball, tetherball and basketball are also available for your enjoyment. Next door is the Champion 18 hole Coal Creek Golf Resort, so don’t forget to pack your clubs.
The concession is located at the entrance to the Campground where you will find flush toilets, showers, firewood and concession items for sale cash/debit/credit.
Black Nugget Lake map
- Regular office hours 10:00 am - 8:00pm
- Open from May 17 to September 30.
- Daily rates (per unit (a tent is considered a unit plus GST): Full service $42, Power $36, and non-serviced sites $30.
- 87 sites available, including 6 full serviced sites, 33 powered sites, 4 powered group sites and 4 non powered group sites as well as 4 tenting sites, 35 non-powered sites and 1 overflow site
- Group sites; minimum of 3 units are charged at time of booking, if you add more units including tents you will be charged per unit upon arrival and must register at the office.
- Caretaker is on site 24/7. All campsites have firepits and picnic tables.
- Garbage, dog waste bags and trash cans, washrooms, and recycling stations are located throughout the campground
- Only 2 dogs per unit and must be kept on a leash.
- Water taps to fill you trailers are located outside the concession/office.
- Day fishing at Black Nugget Lake is open year around, however please stay in the day use area.
Fishing at Black Nugget Lake
Approximately 25% of fishermen in Alberta fish stocked water bodies. What fish are stocked into a water body is determined by the area fisheries biologist. The type, size, number and when the fish are stocked is provided to fish culture for all lakes. Performance of the fishery and engagement of the angling community is part is the area biologist mandate. About 10% of the lakes are managed as a quality trout fishery. Average size of trout stocked is 17cm.
Black Nugget has been stocked the past several years with Rainbow Trout, in the spring 12,500, (20cm) and in the fall 12,500, (20cm). This year a total of 7,929 Tiger Trout was also stocked in Black Nugget Lake in the fall - two sizes (25.8cm and 34cm).
Tiger Trout is a cross between a male brook trout and a female brown trout.
There is a Winter Creel taking place at Black Nugget Lake
Staff will interview anglers on the ice and ask the following questions;
How many anglers are fishing in your party?
How many tiger trout and rainbow trout are caught?
How many are kept?
How many are released?
Distance the angler travelled?
Are you satisfied by your fishing experience?
Enjoy your fishing experience at Black Nugget Lake!